Friday, August 31, 2007

magnetic north

So we're losing another friend to the north. A. is leaving Sunday and we had him over for another meal last night to give him his present and for Henry and me to say goodbye. He has to work today and part of tomorrow, so Timon will see him then. I'm having some dejavu, thinking back to when Chad, Henry's godfather was getting ready to move up north and trying to squeeze in as much time together as possible, mostly centered on feeding him beer, hard-boiled eggs and ice cream home-cooked meals and reading books about Mormons or wilderness survival. Last night was similar, enjoying a nice dinner with A. and then gathering around the computer monitor to watch old clips from Sesame Street on YouTube. Like this one, for instance:



My siblings and I were raised on a healthy musical diet of Sesame Rock & Roll and Vivaldi, Billy Joel and Broadway musicals like this and this. Schizophrenic tastes, but all classics, to be sure. What's your favorite childhood musical memory? Kat - I'm sure yours is the piano-four-hands.

3 comments:

Chad Odgers said...

You guys messed around with the internet after I passed out, right?
A. didn't get a kiss at the end of the rainbow like I did, did he?

Anonymous said...

I have done that for the kids too, Melody especially loves seeing some of those clips. Last night after she saw the one you posted, she asked to see "Grover and the Hamburger"!

It is a little featurette with Grover as a waiter in a restaurant with some anonymous guy (also a puppet) who orders a hamburger and Grover asks if he wants the big one or the little one. Grover pressures him to order the little hamburger, as the big one is too big. So the guy does, and the little one is tiny, so he asks for the big hamburger, against Grovers advice.

Out comes the big one and it is as big as the table and actually makes the table legs break. Its quite funny

Anonymous said...

hmmm... I think it's a toss up between the following magical musical memories:
Sesame Street Rock & Roll (for years, I didn't know that they were based on real songs!)
Piano 4-hands (or 2-hands & flute or 2-hands and operatic soprano)
Kenny Rogers Greatest Hits (Lady, anyone?)
Our own radio shows