Wednesday, April 28, 2010

in which I pay untold sums of money for a pinwheel, part one

Sunday I bragged to people that I’d never had reason to take my kids to the hospital or ER, other than whilst in-utero in the process of being evicted from my innards.  Let me tell you how that’s all turned out.
Soooo, Maria’s pretty sick.  She had low fever Saturday that I attributed to the fact that she’s always got her fingers in her mouth these days – so when are you gonna get those canine teeth, sweet girl?  Sunday morning we didn’t check her temp – she didn’t seem super feverish.  After her nap, though, she was burning up.  As in ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR POINT TWO DEGREES burning up.  And then I called Jen to cancel our farewell visit. *sob*
Monday I stayed home with mah baybee, hoping she would snap out of it.  Alas, when she woke up from a nap with 103* (let’s just assume the asterisk after a number in a post about fevers means the same thing as that little superscript circle we all learned in 4th grade, hmmm, shall we?) fever I called the pediatrician to get us in first thing Tuesday morning.  Well, not first thing, you all can fairly assume that I showered, dressed, and had Henry ready and dropped off to school before we went to the doctor.  We were whisked into an exam room before our appointed time (LOVE) and Maria stood on a big person’s scale for the first time – 24lbs.  The doctor came in and Maria got a little squirrely, but she was able to check her ears, throat, and listen to her chest.  Ears: clear.  Throat: red.  Lungs: rattling.  (“Mr. Bones feels rattlin’!  Ha, ha, that’s a good one.  Tell a little story, Mr. Bones!  A funny little story, Mr. Bones!”  NAME THE MOVIE) I agree to a strep test, a urine test, and a nebulizer treatment.  Strep: negative.  Urine: not great, but not abnormal for a person with a fever.  Nebulizer: not unlike wrestling a sackfull of bobcats.  Lungs: still rattling.  The doctor chooses her words carefully to tell me she thinks Maria needs a chest x-ray.  Before that though, she wants to see if Maria will blow a pinwheel while she listens with a stethoscope so that she can more thoroughly assess her lung function.  Not a chance, Maria thinks.  Of course, I’d love to drop some sweet cash on some more medical tests, Maresi thinks.
Stay tuned for part two.



3 comments:

Amy said...

Is it too early in the year to watch that movie? ha

Poor Maria. Hope she feels better quickly. I know there's not much I can do from here but call me anytime if you need to talk.

Katherine said...

Duh - White Christmas. Easy! ("He should have attended to the sick and left the well alone!")

CG said...

how can you stop an angry dog from biting you on Monday?