Wednesday, January 13, 2010

incredible (now with even more incredibleness)

  • I just discovered a singer/songwriter named JJ Heller.  This girl is OFF.THE.HOOK amazing.   I mean, I feel like I did when I heard downhere for the first time.  If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you know this is a V. Big Deal. 

  • I got my first PR pitch email (apparently generated from a post over at the photoblog).  Most big-time bloggers get dozens of these a week, so it’s not surprising that I haven’t gotten any before.  I just laughed at their proposition, and wondered why on earth they picked me, a blogger with less than 2 dozen subscribers and just over 200 unique readers?

  • I revealed my life plan for the next couple of years in this photoblog post.  More than one person thought this photo meant that I was pregnant.  NO.  NOT EVEN A LITTLE.  After my fantastic birth experience and subsequent awakening to the reality that is today’s obstetrics method and practice, I have decided that I would like to be a doula.  I want to help people have the best birth they possibly can.  I want to support women in regaining ownership of their bodies.  I want to shower families with love as they experience one of the biggest moments in their lives. 
    I’m not quitting my job – this will be a career that takes several years to get going, and so I’m committed to staying put where I am until God says “HEY, IT’S TIME.” and then I’ll make the change.  It feels so right – today I actually cried as I read in my book the positive things a birth partner or doula can say to the laboring mother, as I know there are countless women who never have someone say to her what an amazing work she is doing.  This is shameful.  I can’t wait to correct this, for even a few women.

  • Seriously. JJ Heller.  I can hardly concentrate on typing this blog post as I have her album playing and it’s THAT.GOOD.  GAH.  

    ****EDITED TO ADD****

    I'm listening to her song "Your Hands" right now - the lyrics are pretty appropriate as we all remember those Haitian souls, both those on earth and those gone on:
When my world is shaking, HEAVEN STANDS.  When my heart is breaking, I never leave your hands.
Amen, and amen.

2 comments:

Em said...

I KNOW!! JJ Heller. Yeah. Seriously.

That's all I got.

Too bad I can't get streaming media here at work...

mama amy bee said...

Congrats on your doula path. Let me know if you need anything!