I do not boast when I say that last night I made the best chicken tortilla soup of all time. It's not bragging when it's the truth, right? Anyway - there was a recipe in the Food Network magazine and I only used it as the basic guide. I couldn't find one key ingredient it called for so I made a substitution. Clearly it was fine since we all ate it like crazy last night and I just now ate the rest of the leftovers.
First I put half a large yellow onion (chopped finely) in a pot with a little olive oil over medium heat. When it was good and soft I added 2 14oz cans stewed tomatoes, one can condensed tomato soup, one small can ro-tel original, and one small can mexican red sauce (I found this brand). Use a stick blender (or I suppose you could put all of this in a food processor) and puree the mixture until everything is blended, with only small chunks of tomato remaining. While that's heating up back in the pot, boil two chicken breasts with vegetable bullion. Shred that when it's done cooking. Add about 2 cups chicken broth to the tomatoes, add the chicken. At the last minute I decided to throw in about 1 cup of frozen corn. Let cook on med-low for 45 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro (aaaaand THAT RIGHT THERE is where I lose Jen & Barb, among others [ANTI-CILANTRO WEIRDOS]), shredded cheese, and plenty of crunched up tortilla chips.
In non-soup news, Maria has pink-eye and a sinus infection. She was looking pre-tty pitiful this morning and was unbelievably clingy and whiny. I took her to the pediatrician this morning and she is now snoozing away in her crib. We're praying we don't all get the pink-eye since it's so contagious and she touches everything she possibly can all the time.
But don't dwell on Maria's crusty eyes... go make yourself some soup!
First I put half a large yellow onion (chopped finely) in a pot with a little olive oil over medium heat. When it was good and soft I added 2 14oz cans stewed tomatoes, one can condensed tomato soup, one small can ro-tel original, and one small can mexican red sauce (I found this brand). Use a stick blender (or I suppose you could put all of this in a food processor) and puree the mixture until everything is blended, with only small chunks of tomato remaining. While that's heating up back in the pot, boil two chicken breasts with vegetable bullion. Shred that when it's done cooking. Add about 2 cups chicken broth to the tomatoes, add the chicken. At the last minute I decided to throw in about 1 cup of frozen corn. Let cook on med-low for 45 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro (aaaaand THAT RIGHT THERE is where I lose Jen & Barb, among others [ANTI-CILANTRO WEIRDOS]), shredded cheese, and plenty of crunched up tortilla chips.
In non-soup news, Maria has pink-eye and a sinus infection. She was looking pre-tty pitiful this morning and was unbelievably clingy and whiny. I took her to the pediatrician this morning and she is now snoozing away in her crib. We're praying we don't all get the pink-eye since it's so contagious and she touches everything she possibly can all the time.
But don't dwell on Maria's crusty eyes... go make yourself some soup!

4 comments:
Cilantro is the devil.
Cilantro is ANGELIC!!!! gg
I agree with Jen, cilantro is a terrible thing...tastes like dish soap.
I made chicken tortilla soup 2 nights ago too- delicious!
hahahaha. You'll have to include Calliope on that list.
The rest of it sounds DELICIOUS! Do you know how much I LOOVE chicken tortilla soup?? I've been thinking about trying to make it for a while now. Perhaps you have inspired me. Or perhaps I will be too tired as always. ;-)
Post a Comment