While I LURVE my 11 bumgenius 3.0 diapers, I often use prefolds (those old school rectangles that most people picture when they hear “cloth diapers”) and Thirsties diaper covers. Right now she’s in infant size prefolds and size small covers. It’s definitely the cheaper route to cloth diapering, and really, it’s not a big deal. Here’s how we do it (click the picture to make it bigger if it’s not clear):
Steps 1&2: We use a bumgenius microfiber newborn insert inside our prefolds – they last a bit longer that way. You certainly don’t have to do this. I fold the prefold around the doubler the long way.
Steps 3&4: Once folded into thirds, I stuff one end into the front pocket of the diaper cover. Some sources say not to do this, but why else would it be there if not to stop the wetness from leaking out the top of the diaper? Duh.
Steps 5&6: I then pull up on the back of the cover while fitting the prefold/insert combo inside. What’s hanging out the top of the back gets folded down behind. Once she’s a bit bigger and in the medium size cover this step will be skipped.
Steps 7&8: Obviously Maria doesn’t wear bloomers under her diaper but we didn’t want to flash the internets. I then lay the diaper under her bottom and then fasten the velcro tabs, just like you’d do for a disposable or bumgenius 3.0. I usually check around the legs to make sure the gusset is not folded in. Then you’re good to go!
I keep saying how surprised at how LITTLE a deal cloth diapering is. I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t have my own washer/dryer – in our apartment we used a communal washer and it took quarters, definitely not cloth diaper friendly. I am glad we’re doing it and so glad some of my family and friends are too!

6 comments:
What a patient little girl, I suppose she is probably use to the photo shoots by now, though.
Thank you for the informative pictures... you have a very willing and well-behaved model!
I have started using the prefolds (also with Thirsties covers) a lot more lately -- they seem easier now that they aren't so big on him. And we also use the BG newborn insert as a doubler, though we just place it on top of the folded prefold (he is a supersoaker, and the prefold didn't always absorb fast enough without the insert on top).
Harry is borderline on the infant size now -- we bought a dozen premium size (that's the from-infant-to-potty-training size in the brand we use) and have just finished the prewashing to prepare for the switch. They look so big! As do the medium size covers, which he definitely doesn't need yet.
we have a few of the prefolds and bummis. Great instructions
Can't believe she's in smalls! Oliver skipped out of those quickly and into the med and larges now. With Ave out of diapers, we have enough covers to keep him covered up! I love those Thirsties covers!!! Thanks for the pics!!
hey lady!
Jen just sent me the link to this post as I was JUST musing how to use the prefolds that were given to us. This is a great HOW To post so thanks!!
Post a Comment