Wednesday, April 30, 2008

decision '08 (overheard at a debate)

"I'm pretty sure your screw-up was worse."

"Um, no. Messing up a fish dinner for which you had no recipe and were experimenting is NOT worse than misreading 1/2 cup shortening for 2 cups shortening in my dad's tried-and-true recipe and wrecking the banana bread."

"But then we had no meal, we had to scrounge around!"

"I had to clean the oven TWICE after the shortening bath it took with your disgusting mess. And besides, me making a gross fish meal without a recipe... well, let's just say I could be compared to the Wright Brothers. I was trying to be an innovator. You, on the other hand, are like Boeing, screwing up one of the same engines you've been making for 30 years."

"I still disagree, but I have to admit that I cannot dispute your logic."

*****************************************
Who do you think won this round? Or let me put it this way: Which would you be more likely to turn down - a fish dinner, or fresh baked banana bread? Which loss is greater? Weigh in in the comments, please.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Banana bread is the worse loss. I understand Timon's point about losing the entire meal versus one part... but I could eat banana bread for a meal and be perfectly happy! (Especially since his explanation for the 2 cup of shortening was "I thought it said one 2 cup of shortening.... seriously, has he ever read a recipe?)

--Kat

Anonymous said...

There is no way I could choose between banana bread and an entire meal. It would be loving one child more than another - NOT possible. So, after chuckling at Kat's comment, I say call this contest a draw, hug each other, have some laughs (it will become funnier through the years and story permutations that happen naturally) and let Henry fix PB & J for supper!!!! plm :):)

PS If Henry needs a place to live and a decent meal, I'll come get him!!!! :):)

Amy said...

Um, banana bread is the WAY worse loss. I. Love. Banana Bread.

However, I hate bananas. Go figure.

mama amy bee said...

i love me some banana bread.

Anonymous said...

As the person who has made this particular recipe for banana bread for several decades in our house, I would have to say that messing it up is not only pretty hard to do, but also is something I would not be willing to forget for a long time! I will say, however, that the logic of the Boeing argument is false - Boeing makes the AIRPLANE, they buy the ENGINES from someone else, like Pratt & Whitney, GE, or Rolls-Royce.
So, score one for each side - the real loser was the banana bread!
- Dad

Anonymous said...

I would have to say the banana bread loss was worse..as we don't eat fish around here...but I am personally jealous of you. You atleast have a husband who tries to cook or bake! Your sweet brother is the man of eggs or mac and cheese and that is about it. He may once in a while help me stir stuff or shread the cheese for dinner but that is the extent of his "cooking". He only cooks sometimes too if I go out..usually he gives snacks or pb&j for dinner when I am not here..which isn't often. So enjoy the fact that yours atleast tries!