Tuesday, April 03, 2007

juicy secrets about my marriage ***now with even more sap!!!***

Well, not exactly. Enjoy learning more about me and my beloved.

Where/how did you meet?

We met when I was working for my college as a summer campus slave assistant, and I was in charge of the dorms. He stayed in one while working as an intern for the summer theatre program. I watched him walk across a parking lot and was smitten. We "met" when I checked on his building (far more often then necessary) that night.

How long have you known each other?
We met in May 1998, almost 9 years ago.

How long after you met did you start dating?
About 7 days. We are slow movers.

How long did you date before you were engaged?
We got engaged on October 29, 1999, so about a year and a half?

How long was your engagement?
Another year and a half...

How long have you been married?
5 3/4 years.

What is your anniversary?
July 7, 2001

How many people came to your wedding reception?
About 200?

What kind of cake did you serve?
I really had to search my memory for this, but I believe it was white and chocolate, with buttercream frosting. It looked really pretty, and the topper held up surprisingly well in both form and taste after 18 months in the deep freezer.

Where was your wedding?
It was held at the church I grew up attending.

What did you serve for your meal?
Guests had a choice of chicken, beef, or salmon, and there was salad and pasta involved, if I remember correctly.

How many people were in your wedding party?
Two on each side. My sister Katherine and friend Andrea stood up for me, and Timon's grandfather Maxwell and my brother Peter held up the men's side.

Are you still friends with them all?
Yes, although Maxwell has gone on to his heavenly reward.

Did your spouse cry during the ceremony?
I have NEVER in our almost 9 years together seen him REALLY cry. Not even when Henry was born did he shed real TEARS. He only gets "misty".

Most special moment of your wedding day?
Probably when all the people stood up to sing at the end of the ceremony - our musical "family" sent us off in glorious song. Just perfect.

Any funny moments?
Andrea had worn her silver shoes to another wedding earlier in the summer, at which time she kicked off her heels into a corner of the room - as did the rest of the (apparently also very petite) bridesmaids. At the end of the night, she picked up two size 6 shoes which she promptly threw in the back of her car. She grabbed them to come up for my wedding, and as we are 10 minutes from walking down the aisle, I look at her - gazing at her left shoe-clad foot, while holding another left shoe. What a trooper... she made it down the aisle, stood there for the ceremony, and walked back up with almost no one knowing the truth. Hysterical.

Any big disasters?
Unbeknownst to me, but knownst to almost everyone else, when my aunt took the bridesmaids dresses to get steamed at her sister-in-laws fancy clothing store the day before the wedding, the steamer spit giant drops of water onto the material, which when dried left ugly rings on the skirts. They brought them to a dry-cleaner who worked his magic and got them to the house in time the morning of the ceremony. Not really a big disaster, but I am glad I was none-the-wiser about this little event before the wedding!

Where did you go on your honeymoon?
We traveled all over southern New Hampshire and stayed at a bed-and-breakfast.

How long were you gone?
One week.

If you were to do your wedding over...
I'd try to remember more of the day, I'd have videotaped the ceremony, and made sure the photographer knew more about what I wanted... and that he didn't take an hour off to eat his own meal during the reception.

What side of the bed do you sleep on?
The left side at home, but the right when I'm away. Weird, huh?

What size is your bed?
Full. Ugh.

Greatest strength as a couple?
We laugh a lot, we share parenting duties, and we know when to give each other space.

Greatest challenge as a couple?
Not to let the piddly stuff become giant stuff.

Who literally pays the bills?
We both do.

What is your song?
Feels Like Home - Bonnie Raitt.

What did you dance your first dance to?
See above.

Describe your wedding dress.
Sleeveless, white, matte satin, embroidered with flowers in a silvery taupe thread. With a Dior bow. (just kidding. That was a little joke for my mom.)

What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?
Roses - blush, peach, cream, yellow and pink.

Truvy: What are your colors, Shelby?
Shelby: My colors are "blush" and "bashful." Pink is my signature color.
M'Lynn: Her colors are "pink" and pink."
Shelby: My colors are "blush" and "bashful", Mama!

Are your wedding bands engraved?
Yes - mine says "to my wife 7-7-01" and Timon's says "to my husband 7-7-01".

How old were you when you got married?
I was 23 and Timon was 22. Mere babes.


***here's the extra sap: Writing all this today got me in the mood to look at our wedding album. Henry sat down next to me asking "Who dat?" at EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON. But when he saw me in my wedding dress he said, "Mommy! That's you! You princess!" *sob* Can you stand it?!?***

3 comments:

Elena said...

That extra sap was so worth it! What a kid.

mama amy bee said...

awww.. love reading about you two. love that henry thinks you're a princess. love blush and bashful as some of your wedding colors. :)

Sarah and Jack said...

I love that part of Steel Magnolias almost as much as I love "who you kiddin mama? texas is the best!" in Terms of Endearment.