Wednesday, November 24, 2010

xxiv

I love my husband so much.  Do you know that we have been together for over 12 1/2 years now?  Married for 9+ years and two kids later, and he’s still not sick of me.  Even when each of us is acting like a total asshat, even when we’re exhausted and the kids are making us want to run away, we have chosen to stick it out.  Reading TIME magazine’s cover story about marriage got me thinking that if people spent at least the same amount of time planning and preparing for their marriage as they do planning and preparing for their wedding day, many more couples would stay wed.  Marriage is how we learn about selfless love, about how Christ loves us, and about how we are to sacrifice for another to whom we are devoted.  There have been many, many times where I fail to learn these lessons.  Timon has failed sometimes, too.  But when we get it right, when we are quick to apologize with humility, when we swallow our pride and put the other one first, when we are affectionate and demonstrative with our feelings… it’s overwhelmingly awesome.  And I’m writing this down during this season of Thanksgiving so that in the inevitable cold, dark and distant times, I’ll have it to look at to remember what on earth we’re hanging in there for.  Second only to my love for God, Timon is the love of my life.

3 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm glad you like each other. :)

Barb said...

That's lovely sweetie. Congrats on your happiness. :) I usually feel this way about Hub too. 13 years together on Nov 26th. We've not been married as long though.. 7.

Anonymous said...

:) When Lee and I where asked which couple we admired most in pre-marital counseling, we both had a hard time answering because we know so many awesome couples. You and Timon are one of the couples that I want our marriage to mimic in love, commitment, friendship, and care. I'm so excited you are my sister in law.