Thursday, December 03, 2009

diapers, revisited

It's been a while since I talked about Maria's cloth diapers on here. I realize there's a limited audience for this type of post, but I'm sure if you're bored, your mouse can find it's way up to that little red x in the upper right corner of your screen and click on it. You won't hurt my feelings. Much.

Anyhoo - I do want to post about our new method we've developed for prefolds but I need my diaper model and she's currently unavailable due to her previous commitment to daycare. But we're still using a combo of Bumgenius 3.0s and prefolds/covers. After the last time I posted about prefolds/covers, she's since moved up to the next larger size in everything. The BGs are at the middle snap and still fit her well. We use a BG stuffed with the big insert and 2 small inserts at night with no leaks. We've also experimented with using a prefold wrapped around a large BG insert or 2 small BG inserts, covered with her Thirsties cover, and had good luck as well.

The biggest change we've made is the realization that all those microfiber inserts were continuing to hold an odor after one rinse and two wash cycles. They wouldn't smell too bad going from the washer to the dryer, but when I'd open the dryer after they were done, I could immediately smell a not so nice scent. We had been using All Free Clear since the beginning since it got a passable rating on some CDing websites, but I began to suspect that a change was necessary. Yes, I tried stripping them with bleach and Dawn dish soap, and it worked, but not for long. BUT, lo...



BEHOLD THE MIRACLE THAT IS ROCKIN' GREEN SOAP! I bought a sample, did the initial soak they suggested, and after a couple more washes, the odor was completely gone. The BG inserts, BG pockets, covers and prefolds simply smell like nothing when they come out of the dryer. Rockin' Green comes in all sorts of scents or an unscented version, with types for hard and soft water - all are safe for cloth diapers or whatever laundry you want to use it for. You barely have to use any (3 tbsps per load) and it lasts a while. I very highly recommend making the switch even if you've never had odor issues. Support small business! I just got my bags that I ordered during the Black Friday sale today in the mail. It smells awesome! A sample costs just $2.50 and ships for $1... Go for it!

[Rockin' Green did not ask me to write this, nor did I receive any compensation for this post. I just really, really like it. Really. For reals.]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved cloth diapers, even the OLD style which was all we had, and am happy to see so many new moms using them too!! mom

Barb said...

Cool! Good to know! So did you find you needed this product as she got older? Or should I buy some now?

HereWeGoAJen said...

We've switched to Charlie's Soap and I really like that.

Amy said...

I use Rockin' Green (on your recommendation) - the unscented one - on all of Emmett's laundry. Haven't tried it on the diapers yet since he's still in the disposable newborn size, but I'm glad to know how well it works!

mama amy bee said...

We like Charlie's Soap, too. But, I've been just washing in Tide and have been pretty happy. I am tempted to buy a couple new covers, since there seems to be some great new styles and colors out, but I don't know if it's worth it!?

AwkwardMoments said...

Good to know! I have been using biokleen and Planet