Thursday, December 10, 2009

christmas

This article is so fantastic, I just had to link to it for you, dear reader readers. It's exactly what I was thinking.


6 comments:

Barb said...

Yes. Very cool article Maresi. As someone who struggles with how to go about her Faith, I always admire the way you handle it, and how you have such open discussion. You're someone I look up to in that respect even if I'm not quite in the same place you are.

I don't completely agree with the end though about school. I know she's saying, "If you're going to recognize it as Christmas, but just not say it, then that's pretty ridiculous." And I pretty much agree with that. If your goal is to be inclusive, not SAYING it's Christmas doesn't really make it NOT Christmas. However, a public institution funded by govt in a country with religious freedoms does walk a narrow line. What I think would be cool is if they could celebrate all kinds of religious ceremonies to really be inclusive! And if someone was offended they missed theirs, then ask for it to be included, but not be allowed to sue them unless they face discrimination. KWIM? It's something I always loved about the Catholic college I attended (even though I'm not Catholic). We had required religious classes (not too many) and lots of celebrations. And MANY MANY of them included religions of all sorts and learning about them. I found it fascinating and helpful.

Thanks again.

Btw... you should get statcounter or something so you can see that it's not just "reader." ;-)

Anonymous said...

Excellent - thanks for sharing this! mom

Elena said...

While I agree that there's far too much sensitivity regarding a secular winter holiday on the part of those who live a secular lifestyle, I think the implication that such celebrations revolve exclusively around consumerism is misguided. Scores of people who don't believe in Christ (or, indeed, any religion or brand of spirituality) use this time to gather with their families, give one another tokens of love and appreciation, listen to great music, and generally celebrate the conclusion of the year and the approach of the new year, which brings with it hope and possibility.

I am no proponent of the debt that accumulates, or the barrage of commercials, or the "banal parties" to which she refers. Likewise, I wholeheartedly support the effort of Christians to retain some possession over the holiday. That those of us non-Christians even celebrate this holiday demonstrates the profound and pervasive presence (woah alliteration!) Christianity has within our culture, not that the group has been marginalized, but it is both understandable and admirable for them to try and maintain the spirituality that has previously defined the holiday.

Sorry if that was something of a diatribe! In short, I think she's right that Christians should celebrate Christmas without tacitly condoning blind consumerism; however, to imply that a secular Christmas is somehow devoid of meaning is folly.

See, you inspired some thought in this reader! :)

Barb said...

Note on my blog for you. You don't have to participate. I just wanted you to see it.

And I feel some of that too Elena. Well said. :)

maresi said...

The main points of her article I agreed with are that a)the professed Christian First Family should not be afraid to celebrate Christmas as Christians would. They have a responsibility to uphold the rights of Americans to celebrate in whichever faith tradition or secular way each family feels appropriate, but they should not "hide their lights under a bushel" for fear of offense to others. Too often people confuse freedom OF religion with freedom FROM religion.
b)I see in the article a necessary admonishment to Christians to not surrender the true origins of the holiday for any reason - whether it be consumerism, embarrassment, fear of offending someone, etc. The title of the article was accurate in many ways.
I hate being cryptic, but this REALLY hits home for me right now. I can't go into specifics but in our church we've just come through some conflict about tucking away the decorations and ignoring all ceremony to make ourselves more accessible and non-offensive. WHY?!? We are who we are. By being and celebrating who we are, and not being hypocrites and judgmental, we will have integrity with others.
Elena- I would never assume that a secular family enjoying each other's company or exchanging gifts was merely revolving around consumerism. As I said above, I think the words of caution in the article are much more directed at Christians. I know lots of non-believers who are pretty spectacular people and who are full of love. Sadly, I also know Christians who would rather look down their noses at others for wearing jeans to church than embrace someone for coming.
About the school portion of her piece - I agree that schools have to be inclusive. If I wanted to protect Henry from even the mention of other faith traditions, I'd scrimp, save, and sacrifice to pay to send him to a Christian school, but we don't. I view his faith education as mine and Timon's responsibility. In fact, just the other day I posted to FB how happy I was that Henry said he wanted to get a dreidel for Christmas! I'm thrilled that he's learning these other traditions.
Anyway- thanks, you guys, for responding so thoughtfully. Isn't it nice to have some civility in the world?

Barb said...

I agree with you about the first family stuff. I think if they're doing something official, they should try to keep religion out of it. But if they're celebrating their religion, there is NO reason they should have to hide it. That's the very reverse of religious freedom.

And it IS really nice. It's why I wanted to give you that award. :) I always take your musings in a good way, so no worries there. I am always above impressed at your dedication to faith, social & govt responsibility AND open mindedness at the same time. It's a nice lesson for me and wonderful to read.