Sunday, February 22, 2009

an offer I hope you can't refuse...

The other day I was in the Target parking lot and this sweet looking grandmotherly woman whose car was parked next to us was incredibly rude to me as I struggled to get Henry, Maria, and our bags into the car. She clearly thought her needs were vastly more important than being patient for 15 seconds while I finished up getting the kids into the car, and practically shoved me out of the way. It was even more startling because I was there in the first place on an errand of mercy.

There's a girl in our church in her early 20s. N has been coming to our church since she was 13. She became a mother far, far too young, but she does a remarkable job with her 2 daughters, ages 8 and 2 1/2. N recently escaped an abusive relationship, went to school and got a certificate to do medical billing and coding; she has a job and is ready to move out on her own with the girls (they've been staying with a church member for several months). They have lots of needs for a new home - N had to leave nearly everything behind when she moved out of her last place. We have given them new sheets for the girls (that's what I got at Target), and I want to try to do more. Here's the offer for you... can you help us build this young family up? If you're interested, leave a comment, and I'll get back to you about ways we can get together and help N, C, and C. I know times are hard for us all right now... but I have found that when I am giving the most is when I am given the most.


6 comments:

Amy said...

I'm in. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that we will send you a check to cash so she can have some cash maybe for groceries or whatever she needs. I'll be in touch again about it. plm

AwkwardMoments said...

I am in hte middle of re-arranging/decluttering everything in my house. You bet I'm in.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I'm in. Let me know what I can do.

Barb said...

Hey there. Sometimes we get free clothing from Hub's job, and I can get some interesting discount stuff from my job sometimes. Let me know.
blue105 at yahoo

Anonymous said...

I'm in too. Let me know what would be most helpful. ML