For a storm that's not going to come close to the U.S. coast, our local news weather is spending an awfully large amount of time covering the predicted path. Welcome to Florida's news, from June through November.I'm sure my cryptic comment about not watching the Olympics this year has at least one person puzzled. I know this because someone left a comment expressing that very sentiment. I am very observant. Even I'm puzzled by my impulse about not watching. Anyone who knows me a little is aware that I am always eager to watch swimming competitions, and the Olympics are usually the only time that doing so is ever possible. I also just really love watching the Olympics, no matter what sport is on. I choke up at the human interest stories, I love medals ceremonies, and rooting for the home team is great.
I've been reading about the Chinese preparations for this year's Olympics - they're cleaning the place up and getting ready to put on a good show for the world. All host cities do this, of course. When I was in Athens in 2007 there were obvious signs that the city had been prepared for an onslaught of visitors. I just can't help but be concerned about how wretchedly many Chinese women and children are treated. My heart breaks for the Chinese Christians who are still forced to worship underground with one Bible to share between 20 families.
Believe me, I have no illusion that my not watching the Olympics is going to do anything to change these situations. It's just bizarre to watch millions (billions?) of dollars being spent on these games by the host country when many millions of their citizens are starving, babies are being abandoned, women are being forced to abort their unborn children against their will, and Christian leaders are being jailed for preaching the Gospel.

2 comments:
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Don't say Hurricane - they will start following those stories with words like "hunker down" ..
I agree with most of what you said. However, I've also read about how the Olympics coming to China is giving the ordinary citizens something to believe in and be proud of. So I think that maybe it's doing a little good over there, too.
Post a Comment