Thursday, April 03, 2008

dilemma

Do you know your mail delivery person's name? I do. His name's Eric. Eric is a single dad about my age who works full-time as a mailman. He greets people by name at their homes, and many, many folks on his route are older, retired people who may not see or talk to another soul all day long. So he works 5 long days a week, walking 10 miles a day in Florida heat. Every time I see him and ask how his day is going, he replies with "Oh, I'm just havin' too much fun!" and a smile. All that is special but what's even cooler is that on his 2 days off each week he mows lawns for free, for several older people on his delivery route who have no one else to do it for them and can't afford to pay someone. Last summer he got quite a bit of local media attention after a newspaper article and tv spot were put out about "The Mowing Mailman." Donations poured in, both cash/gas cards and lawn mowers, trimmers, etc. And even after all of this, Eric refuses to accept any glory for himself. Today, he came into the church office (also on his route) to drop off/pick up and he told us about the upcoming articles in both Reader's Digest and Guideposts AND how he'd just been asked to throw out the first pitch at the major league baseball game (here in town) in a couple of weeks on a Sunday afternoon. When he told us these things, of course we were so excited for him and I said something like, "Wow, Eric, you deserve all these nice things to happen to you." And he completely refused any praise, instead pointing it all towards God. Like I said, he's awesome. And modest.

So, here's the dilemma. I have been looking forward to going to some of these home MLB games and wouldn't this just be the perfect opportunity? To go, catch a game, cheer on the mailman while we're there? But that same Sunday afternoon is the church picnic, to which I'm expected to go and attempt to bring some youth group members. Will I be fired if I don't go? No, but I'm sure I'll hear all sorts of comments about what a shame it was that we weren't there and how in the old days all the youth used to go and play volley-ball, etc. I would be shocked if any of the youth in my group want to go - they're not really into the picnic thing. And I'm just dying to see Eric throw out the first pitch. But I definitely feel, not really a responsibility, but I guess pressure to go to the picnic. And of course, the events are exactly at the same time, so going to both is not an option.

What would you do? Leave answers/suggestions in the comments.


7 comments:

Amy said...

My opinion? Go to the game. If your youth aren't into that kind of thing anyway, I wouldn't feel a responsibility. It's one church picnic - there will be more picnics (I'm assuming). And I feel like it's not a huge deal to miss it. Support the awesome mailman Eric! What a great community opportunity and a chance to support someone who really deserves it.

Anonymous said...

go to the game - it's florida which means you have another 8 months of picnicking weather ahead of you! and let us know when you go - you know how frank loves a game! //amh

Elena said...

I don't know how many youth you have, but perhaps you could ask them as a group if they plan to go to the picnic. If less than, say, 5 of them express interest, then go to the game.

And your mailman sounds like a rare and wonderful person. He's worth missing a church picnic. :)

Anonymous said...

What about seeing if any of the youth want to go to the game? You could maybe do a little blurb in the church newsletter so that people who think it's weird you weren't there at least know that you were somewhere worthwhile.

Anonymous said...

Go to the church picnic. Invite Eric for dinner some night soon!! Invite him to church. Invite him to meet the youth group.

lovemom

Anonymous said...

go to the game. support the other good cause, other than the picnic.

Anonymous said...

But if you go to the picnic, you can have mustard fights!