Wednesday, September 19, 2007

can i give it 10 thumbs up?

I've been thinking lately about what movies are my absolute favorites - ones you should RUN to your video store to rent (or at least put in your Blockbuster or Netflix queue). I re-watched one of my faves last night and felt inspired to share with all my tens of readers the preliminary list. I'll put my TOP movie first, then I'll list the rest of them in no particular order.

1. The Black Stallion - I have LOVED this movie since childhood. It might have been one of the first movies I saw on video on the VCR we shared with our aunts, uncles and cousins (thanks, Gram!). Not only does it have one of the most gorgeous animals created in it, but the story of beating the odds and triumph over adversity rings true even now. Kelly Reno plays Alec, the main human character - he was an INCREDIBLE actor for a rookie. Can you believe he now drives an 18-wheeler for a living? Mickey Rooney is there for a couple of laughs and to coach Alec into being a jockey. Plus, the horse kills a snake and saves the boy. That's my kind of heroism!

Waiting For Guffman - This is probably my favorite comedy. It's about community musical theatre, which is in itself a recipe for laughs (no offense, Dad). Of all the Christopher Guest/Eugene Levy improv comedies, I think this one is the most absurdly hilarious. If you've ever been a part of any amateur theatre, you'll recognize that they hit that sweet spot between reality and parody - it's believable, but hysterically funny. Fred Willard, Catherine O'Hara, and Parker Posey are all a riot.

Whale Rider - I watched this one last night. This is a New Zealand film about a young girl named Paikea and her struggles to fit into the male-oriented traditional Maori community she lives in. Her mother and twin brother died in childbirth, and her father wanders the world while she stays with her grandmother and grandfather (he hasn't gotten over the fact that the boy baby died and the girl lived). It's all about their traditional culture and how Paikea manages to learn the traditions and overcome the gender restrictions. As I re-read that summary, it sounds pretty boring - but TRUST ME, there's something so moving about Whale Rider. I usually watch it with the English subtitles because the accent is difficult to understand occasionally.

I Am Sam - OH. MY. GOODNESS. This one smacks you in the stomach, face, heart, brain, and spleen. If you can watch this movie without at the very least getting teary, then you might have a heart of stone. I believe there's been research done on that very fact. Anyhow, it really doesn't matter how you like Sean Penn as a person - his acting in this movie is beyond good. The fact that he lost the Oscar to Denzel Washington for Training Day still irks me. Plus, this movie has an excellent soundtrack of Beatles covers by some great singers.

Okay, that's enough for today - I'll keep sharing them another time. But seriously, watch these movies as SOON as possible.

3 comments:

Ma Ma to 3 said...

Great list! I own Whale Rider and would recommend it to anyone. Very great story!! I Am Sam is a movie I have wanted to watch since it came out and have yet to see...maybe we will get a date night and stay in and get that with our free movie and popcorn certificate I have!! HMMMM..anyone willing to watch the kids for the night!? :) Black Beauty was a favorite of mine as a child as well. I was a huge fan of horses and even remember doing a huge report for my T.A.G. class for the school to see. (Talented and Gifted) See..I was the smart kid!

By the way..love the photo of Henry below. (We just got back online..our computer crashed and we had to wait for the HP company to send us the disks to fix it!) UGH..anyway..always love the photos!

Miss you guys!

Elena said...

I absolutely LOVE Waiting for Guffman! Christopher Guest is awesome.

Amy said...

I Am Sam is fabulous and heart-wrenching. I absolutely love that movie.

I have never seen Waiting for Guffman. Sounds like I need to hurry up and see it.

And on a completely unrelated topic, you should be very proud of your godmother, as she commuted all by herself yesterday (on 2 trains, no less) back to our apartment from her seminar.