Okay, first things first... why does it take a picture of my sister to get all you commenters out of the lurk-o-sphere? Huh?
On to the mayhem: Today during story-time at the library, I couldn't help noticing how many moms were either conversing full-volume to the mom next to them or were talking full-volume on their cell-phones during all the stories and songs. It was almost so loud that the kids couldn't hear the stories, songs, and fingerplays. I know I was totally distracted, so you know some of the kids had to have been. Henry was bored because he couldn't pay attention to the sweet librarian, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. I understand that this is the only adult interaction some of these women will get during the day, and hopefully the moms spend a majority of their day putting the kids first, but I think the point of these 30 minutes is to encourage the kids to enjoy the stories, to sit or kneel quietly and pay attention, and to respect the librarian who is trying with all her might to maintain the tiniest sliver of control over the 20 kids in the room. I'm not sure we'll go back, which is unfortunate. I've been bringing him off and on since he was about 10 months old.
We recently joined Blockbuster Total Access movies. This is a service similar to Netflix, but WAY better. For $18/month, we can get unlimited movies, shipped 3 at a time practically overnight. Our first movies shipped Monday and we got them Tuesday. I mailed back Breach (an excellent movie) yesterday and just checked the website and they have already shipped the next movie in our queue (The Secret of NIMH)! Plus, unlike Netflix, you can return these movies to any Blockbuster store, and get another free rental there for each one you return, essentially doubling your movies. They have a great selection (the one disappointing omission: Peter Pan, the Mary Martin tv special) of both movies and tv shows. For the cost of one trip to the movie theatre, we have essentially unlimited movies at home. I'll be much more likely to let something in the theatre go by now that we can get it at home so cheaply and easily. They should hire me to advertise.
Henry has been loooooving swimming lately. Our friends have been away for a couple of days and when we go let the dog out and give him his dinner, we've been taking a quick dip in the pool. He has started holding onto the step, putting his face under water and sort of floating while moving his arms around. It's really amazing to see his progress from last summer (completely clinging onto me in the water) to now. Yay!
On to the mayhem: Today during story-time at the library, I couldn't help noticing how many moms were either conversing full-volume to the mom next to them or were talking full-volume on their cell-phones during all the stories and songs. It was almost so loud that the kids couldn't hear the stories, songs, and fingerplays. I know I was totally distracted, so you know some of the kids had to have been. Henry was bored because he couldn't pay attention to the sweet librarian, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. I understand that this is the only adult interaction some of these women will get during the day, and hopefully the moms spend a majority of their day putting the kids first, but I think the point of these 30 minutes is to encourage the kids to enjoy the stories, to sit or kneel quietly and pay attention, and to respect the librarian who is trying with all her might to maintain the tiniest sliver of control over the 20 kids in the room. I'm not sure we'll go back, which is unfortunate. I've been bringing him off and on since he was about 10 months old.
We recently joined Blockbuster Total Access movies. This is a service similar to Netflix, but WAY better. For $18/month, we can get unlimited movies, shipped 3 at a time practically overnight. Our first movies shipped Monday and we got them Tuesday. I mailed back Breach (an excellent movie) yesterday and just checked the website and they have already shipped the next movie in our queue (The Secret of NIMH)! Plus, unlike Netflix, you can return these movies to any Blockbuster store, and get another free rental there for each one you return, essentially doubling your movies. They have a great selection (the one disappointing omission: Peter Pan, the Mary Martin tv special) of both movies and tv shows. For the cost of one trip to the movie theatre, we have essentially unlimited movies at home. I'll be much more likely to let something in the theatre go by now that we can get it at home so cheaply and easily. They should hire me to advertise.
Henry has been loooooving swimming lately. Our friends have been away for a couple of days and when we go let the dog out and give him his dinner, we've been taking a quick dip in the pool. He has started holding onto the step, putting his face under water and sort of floating while moving his arms around. It's really amazing to see his progress from last summer (completely clinging onto me in the water) to now. Yay!

No comments:
Post a Comment