The other day I got an envelope in the mail. It contained a printout of an email I sent someone from my college email address waaaaaay back in October 1996. It was just a silly forward, something I thought was hilarious at the time but is only mildly amusing now. I bet you're all wondering who would have not only saved such a thing but then mailed it over 1200 miles to me, 11 years later. Well - you see, 11 and a half years ago, I made a friend. His name's Chris. He holds the title as the person I've been friends with the second-longest. (The champion in that contest is Jess, who I've known since 4th grade and been friends with since 8th grade.) He even ended up being my fantastic date to the senior prom (totally cuter and more friendly than all the other guys there), which probably should have reeeeally made his girlfriend Betsy mad were she not a calm, cool, and super-friendly Mormon.
I'll just share a couple more highlights of the past 11 years... When I went to Europe on a 17-day tour, we stopped in Austria for a couple nights, and GET THIS - Chris' high school jazz band was on tour at the same time, in the same city, on the SAME NIGHT! He even called me at my hotel from his. Now that's crazy, right? Also, in the middle of one night during my junior year of college, I woke with a start to a very loud banging on my dorm room door. I opened it, bleary-eyed and bed-headed to see this kid Mike who I sort of knew from back home, and then Chris, and then a security guard (I won't get into the fact that this "security" guard led these two non-students directly past all measures of security right to my dorm room)! They were on a road trip to see another friend at a school 45 minutes south of mine, and stopped to see me - in the middle of the night. Or we can remember the time he set me up with one of his friends - which only resulted in one and a half of the most disastrous dates ever. That boy's name was Gregg, and that extra g on the end is something I simply cannot abide. Oh, and also, there's that time we almost died in his dad's van. But we don't talk about that.
I like him 'cause he's nice, talented, and we think the same things are funny. Chris gave me the only nickname I've ever liked - Mareese. We don't have to talk all the time, and that's okay with us. He likes my husband and thinks my son is adorable, which really are two of the most basic requirements to be friends with me. Our families like each other, too.
I'll just share a couple more highlights of the past 11 years... When I went to Europe on a 17-day tour, we stopped in Austria for a couple nights, and GET THIS - Chris' high school jazz band was on tour at the same time, in the same city, on the SAME NIGHT! He even called me at my hotel from his. Now that's crazy, right? Also, in the middle of one night during my junior year of college, I woke with a start to a very loud banging on my dorm room door. I opened it, bleary-eyed and bed-headed to see this kid Mike who I sort of knew from back home, and then Chris, and then a security guard (I won't get into the fact that this "security" guard led these two non-students directly past all measures of security right to my dorm room)! They were on a road trip to see another friend at a school 45 minutes south of mine, and stopped to see me - in the middle of the night. Or we can remember the time he set me up with one of his friends - which only resulted in one and a half of the most disastrous dates ever. That boy's name was Gregg, and that extra g on the end is something I simply cannot abide. Oh, and also, there's that time we almost died in his dad's van. But we don't talk about that.
I like him 'cause he's nice, talented, and we think the same things are funny. Chris gave me the only nickname I've ever liked - Mareese. We don't have to talk all the time, and that's okay with us. He likes my husband and thinks my son is adorable, which really are two of the most basic requirements to be friends with me. Our families like each other, too.
All this leads up to the fact that I wanted to point you all to Chris' website for his portrait and painting studio, Almost Home. When I said before that he is talented, I was not exaggerating. He does custom portraits and has some of the most gorgeous paintings I've ever seen. I hope you'll take a minute to look. Here's my favorite, which the jerk sold out from under me. (Well, not exactly. I did shout "I call 'Barn Door Hills: View Through The Trees'" when I saw it the first time. I guess he didn't hear me.) Anyway, take a looksee:
He's not paying me to promote him. But don't you think I at least deserve a print of that painting up there? Custom mounted and framed? With the artist's signature? Right? Hmmm. I don't know when I'll see Chris again (I am going to my hometown in June, but SOMEbody has to go to Maine to paint or something...the nerve!), but I know he'll make me smile when I do. Peace out, C.

No comments:
Post a Comment