I'll tell you what- it makes a real difference in my attitude. Nice people beget niceness. This morning I dropped off some film at the drugstore (a major national chain) and the woman seemed like she couldn't care about helping me any less. Surly, I tell you! She practically threw my claim receipt at me. Later, I visited a home improvement store (again, one of the big two) and the fellow at the register couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. Not overly so, like he was trying too hard to fake it, but a genuine nice person. He even gave me some advice to make my next tax-exempt purchase quicker and easier. I do appreciate good service, and I think it's a dying quality in this country. I am one of those people who will avoid a place of business where people have been unreasonably... well, unreasonable. I usually give it at least 3 tries, but then I go elsewhere. Unless you REALLY need milk and the only place nearby is the P.V.G.S. and you have $4.75 to spend (!!!). [A few CT people will understand that last comment.]
But then, there is my mom, who on a trip to the grocery store witnessed a woman get sort of pushed aside by another person, and comforted the woman by musing, "Well, maybe her husband has cancer or something." Everybody has a bad day. But there's a line we've got to draw between tolerance of people's sad or bad situations and just plain rudeness.
Have a nice day, and come back and see us again!!!

4 comments:
I like your policy in dealing with rude establishments! It's always nice to see a smile on the otherside of a check out counter.
Remember the time we bought spaghetti cheese from PVGS because we were in a bind, and when we looked at the expiration date (AFTER we ate, mind you...) it said November of the previous year (this was sometime in the spring)? That was pretty rude, if you ask me!
--a.m.
I really love it when people surprise you and are so kind and wonderful! It's those people that are rude or just not nice that frustrate me. But then I guess I've had days where I'm self-absorbed and maybe given someone else the cold shoulder. Hmmm.... smiles really are so much better than anything else. :)
You just never know the "story" of the person who might be rude or obnoxious. The behavior is unpleasant but their lives may be filled with garbage, with no loving person to teach them. So keep smiling and be kind - set a good example. Tell the manager. NOW, the expired food for sale is not only rude but ILLEGAL. guess who!
Post a Comment