Monday, January 04, 2010

answers

I got this comment on my last post - don't stay anonymous, Mr./Mrs./Ms. Anonymous! (I also changed the settings to allow comments from those that don't blog on the photoblog. You're welcome. Whoever you are.):
LOVE the fish pic! Can't post a comment over THERE as I don't have a blog, so I am HERE!!! Are you using a digital camera? What brand and model? I can't seem to get the effects I got with my SLR and f-stops with the digital I have now. Was getting ready to go back to the SLR and real film until I saw your pics. HELP! SAVE ME!!!!
Well, thanks! Oh, noooooo, don't go back to film. The money you spend on film and developing would pay for a good starter digital SLR in a couple of years. I am using a digital SLR camera, a Nikon D60. If I could go back in time to when I was purchasing this item, I would have bought the D90 - the reason for that is the D60 does NOT have an internal focusing motor, and the D90 does. More auto-focus lenses are available to use when you have an internal motor. For example, the lens that most often is on my camera is the 50mm f/1.8, which only works in manual focus on the D60, but would auto-focus on the D90 (or higher level camera). Now, I have to say that despite the challenges of manually focusing, particularly while taking photos of my constantly moving children, I really, really like the photos that the 50mm f/1.8 produces. The light is so much more accurate and I can take more pictures in low-light situations with that lens. I am totally ANTI-FLASH. I won't use it. I have grown to really dislike photos taken with flash, even if the subject is really cute. Sorry.

Having sung the praises of my 50mm f/1.8, I have to admit that the fish photo on my year in pictures blog was taken with the kit lens, the 18-55mm AF-S lens (OH, if you've got the D60, make sure any additional lenses you buy are AF-S, not just AF, or you'll be manually focusing like me.). I'm not quick enough with the manual focus to take photos of a lively betta.

I hope this was helpful and not too boring for people who don't give two hoots about cameras or photos. Anonymous, you should totally start a blog so we can see your progress! Plus, when you blog, you get to meet awesome people like Barb who is having a BABY RIGHT NOW!!!!! Yippee!


2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Hooray for Barb! (Okay, yeah, I am a little excited.)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Its Elizabeth Anonymous! Thanks for all the info, i am spending the evening Googling the Nikon!
Its too cold to do anything else and snowing again! I usually have too much going on to sign on the computer a lot, never mind every day oft times, but I love doing the blog-roll thing and have not only learned sooo many neat things, I have made friends in the process. This is a good thing.
I started with a Swedish blog months ago, just cause its a decorating blog and I love Danish Antiques!

So do keep writing about interesting things for us non-writers, and keep posting those gorgeous photos, almost made me want to go out and buy a cousin of Sids........ Skim, ah........